Thursday, March 29, 2007

No SNS for Lent!

So I read this article on "giving up" social networking sites while I was at work today (hopefully they can't scan my home computer to read that!). Basically, CNN found it an interesting story that people have given up social networking sites like Facebook and MySpace for Lent. I'm sure the professor's glad no one in our class decided to do that!

But the article does have a good point, sometimes people can become so involved in SNS that they can experience "addictions" to the sites. How often do you check your Facebook, MySpace or Mixi page? I check my Facebook frequently, probably 2-3 times an hour when I'm at home and I have mobile messaging enabled so whenever I receive a message or friend request, I know immediately. Is that an addiction? I don't think so, but isn't that what alcoholics think too?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious! You make a great point. Maybe we should give up a lot of other things besides Social Networks. How about we turn off the TV. Mute the phones. For once have a REAL conversation with a friend - listen and validate them. Unplug and live! Stephanie

divinereflection said...

LOL....Yeah. I have a friend who attempted to fast from Facebook for Lent....She tried....really she did. She didn't last long.

Sometimes I worry about wasting time on those sites. We could be doing so many more useful things...do you think its a plot by the government???? (I bet Chomsky would think so--social destraction; at best)

Great discussion point I think.

Professor....

管理者 said...

Similar thing is happening in Japan. "The Fatigue of mixi(Japanese SNS)" is now common in Japan. Some people are so addicted to mixi that they feel frustrated if nobody writes comment on their diary in 5 minutes after they posted. But they are often tired of communication on mixi because when they get comments, they feel pressure to write back comments to their friends.
Fortunately, I'm not addicted that much. I can turn off my PC soon after I posted a diary without waiting someone write comments on it.

leibneritec said...

the first step to breaking an addiction is first realzing you have one...I think everyone in todays world has an addiction to a netowrking site