Wednesday, April 11, 2007

LinkedIn

Just in case that last blog post doesn't make sense, I was also thinking about the LinkedIn assignment we just completed (or are quickly finishing). This morning, I imported my Gmail contacts into the website and found an old high school teacher on LinkedIn. I requested a connection with her and personalized the request with a short explanation that I'd joined as a class assignment.

She accepted me and wrote me back this evening. She'd looked over my previous employers and pointed out a non-LinkedIn connection we had, other than my being a former student of hers. She was my high school's mock trial teacher and for the past few years the professional advisers had come from the Public Defender's office--where I worked last summer and am returning this summer. Without using LinkedIn as a form of quick resume and "life summary", I never would have realised that we knew some of the same people from those different contexts.

Also, I was wondering what was up with Professor Melander not my connection...?

2 comments:

leibneritec said...

Hey george thats whats amazing about linked in and social networking sites today with web 2.0...sorry about professor melander not accepting your request

Anonymous said...

It is amazing who you can find on these sites! I found tons of alumni that I have lost touch with as well as some former professors and a former boss.