Thursday, April 19, 2007

Study: Teens protecting their profiles

Spent the day at work with CNN's homepage open... finally something good came up: "Study: Teens protecting their profiles"

Basically, a Pew survey shows that 2/3 of teens don't post their personal information online or use privacy controls to limit public access to their profiles. All I can really say is IT'S ABOUT TIME!!

Even if all these teens think that they're just preventing Internet predators and perverts from getting to them, that's great. Let the fall-out help prevent these same teenagers from getting screwed over by potential employers.

Now, if only Facebook and other SNS would change their privacy structure from an opt-out to an opt-in structure. Instead of having to select each "friend" individually to put on a limited profile access, the system should automatically place friends on limited access and then allow the user to grant more access to specific friends. It would take a bit more work for the users but would provide significantly improved privacy controls. (It may also limit the "fun" of Facebook stalking... but I guess that's the price you pay for privacy and getting a job!)


EDIT: Two YouTube videos of the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children's Think Before You Post TV commercial series.



7 comments:

MJFANATIC said...

Hmmmm. I don't know. If this were true I don't think that the Department of Justice would have an advertisement saying stuff about putting pictures on your profiles. It's really weird. I was at work(ironically I work at the DOJ) and I was bored in my office listening to the radio when I hear this commercial about don't put anything personal about you that you don't want your parents or employers to see or find out about.

So automatically when they said parents... Obviously i thought about the couple thousand adolescents and young ones doing just that. Showing their business to the world.

Ich bin Berliner said...

Just after making that post I saw a couple commercials on TV from the "Think Before You Post" series. Blogger won't let me embed the video here but try these links:

Creepy Janitor

"Hey Sarah, what color underwear today?"

Ich bin Berliner said...

Martha, in thinking about your comment, I don't think that the DOJ should stop their Internet protection campaigns based on one study that kids are getting smarter. That'd be pretty stupid and short-sighted of them. If anything, this study shows them (and the NCMEC, who's PSA campaign videos I've added to my blog) just how important it is to continue the education.

If 2/3 are protecting their info, 1/3 can be like our poor friend Sarah in these videos. Plenty of reason for continued education, no?

leibneritec said...

hey george i think facebook does a great job on privacy settings...from not letting a friend see your wall to pictures to even if you are online...i like how facebook lets us do it indivdually..Im not sure about how myspace works because i and will not ever make a profile on that site....I think facebook is just better and safer

Yuriko said...

It was really interesting post! Actually, I always care about my personal information and do not want to put or post my details of personal information online. But these days I was wondering that it is impossible to protect my personal information, including my pictures, no matter how I try to do that as long as I join online communities, such as Facebook. For example, people who manage Facebook (I mean, employees or some sort of people.) can see all of information that we post on Facebook. If something goes wrong, our information will go somewhere, and literary, everyone will be able to see them. This idea may be delusion, but it still worth thinking.

管理者 said...

If my memory is correct, if you create the Facebook account and do nothing with your profile setting, it automatically shows your profile to everyone. I don't know whether it changed. But if it haven't changed yet, they should change it immedietely.

Alex Y said...

i think the first clip atleast is a little bit over the edge...do you have your picture on facebook? its sure on your blog! haha