Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Using SNS to Get a Job? Really?!

I may just be acting simple-minded but I really can't see myself getting a job through Facebook or even LinkedIn. I can see its usefulness in maintaining or rekindling contacts with former business associates and coworkers but I don't see it getting me a job. However, I'm not looking for business jobs that are filled by 40+ weekly hour computer users. Something about criminal justice system jobs and Facebook seem unlikely to mesh. Maybe because many of my friends in the law enforcement and corrections fields aren't too comfortable with computers, let alone the Internet!

Things are changing but even over the next few years those face-to-face connections will remain the key to success. Which reminds me, I need to send a note (paper!) to someone I met at the Montgomery County Correctional Facility on a field trip last week... gotta solidify that connection with him, make him remember my name. And I can't just add him as a friend on Facebook. :)

4 comments:

leibneritec said...

George i agree 100 percent people can look great on paper but thats a different story face to face is still needed in some business aspects and i think this is one

管理者 said...

I also think face-to-face would be necessary even if SNS for recruitment fully developed. After all, you can't one's ability or characteristic through paper. You need to face-to-face with the person to judge. Maybe you can do it by using online conference tools (online video) in the future, but it is still face-to-face.

Anonymous said...

I think that facebook would be a horribel place to get a job; there are things that should not mix and facebook and professionalism are two of them.

Ich bin Berliner said...

I'm not sure Facebook is actually that terrible a place to network... I'm friends with several people from my internship that are out of college and are "professionals" now. But if I needed to get in touch with them for business--or to find an apartment or even a party--Facebook would be a quick way to do that.